“I’m not holy enough”:
• Isaiah 6: 1-8: (A vision of God in the temple)
"Whom shall I send? Who will go for us?" "Here I am," I said, "send me!
• Luke 5:1-11: (Jesus calls the first disciples)
Do not be afraid; from now on you will be catching men.
“I’m afraid I will fail”:
• Exodus 14: 10-31 (crossing the Red Sea)
Israel saw the great work that the Lord did against the Egyptians.
• Luke 15: 11-32 (the parable of the Merciful Father)
This brother of yours was dead and has come to life; he was lost and has been found.
“I’ve made mistakes and I’m a sinner:”
• John 21:15-23 (Jesus and Peter)
• Matthew 9: 9-13 (the call of Matthew)
Jesus said to Matthew, “Follow me.” And he got up and followed him.
• Luke 7: 36-50 (a sinful woman is forgiven)
Her sins, which were many have been forgiven; hence she has shown great love.
“I ’m too young:”
• 1 Samuel 3:1-18 (the call of Samuel)
Speak, Lord, for your servant is listening.
• 1 Samuel 16:1-13 (the anointing of David as King)
There remains yet the youngest. Send and bring him.
• Jeremiah 1:4-10 (the call and commission of Jeremiah)
Truly I do not know how to speak, for I am only a boy.
• Luke 1:26-38 (the annunciation to Mary)
For nothing is impossible with God.
“I’m not talented enough”:
• 1 Samuel 17: 32-51 (David and Goliath)
Saul said to David: “You are not able to go against the Philistine.”
David said: “The Lord will save me from the hand of this Philistine.”
“I want to have a family”:
• Gen 12:1-3 (the call of Abraham)
Go from your country and your family to a land that I will show you.
• Matthew 12:46-50 (the true family of Jesus)
For whoever does the will of my father in heaven is my brother and sister and mother.
• Mark 10: 28-30 (the promise of a hundredfold)
There is no on who has left house or family for the sake of the kingdom
who will not receive a hundredfold in this age and eternal life in the age to come.
“I want the good life”:
• Mark 10: 17-31 (the rich young man)
The man was shocked and went away grieving, for he had many possessions.
• 1 Corinthians 2: 9 (the true wisdom of God)
No eye has seen, nor ear heard, nor the human heart conceived, what God has prepared
for those who love him.
• Matthew 13: 44-46 (three parables of the kingdom)
The kingdom of heaven is like…a treasure hidden in a field…a pearl of great value…
a net thrown into the sea..
• John 10:10 (Jesus gives us life)
I came that they may have life, and have it abundantly.
• Matthew 16: 24-27 (take up your cross)
If you want to be my disciple, take up your cross and follow me.
“I’m afraid of making a commitment”:
• Ruth 1: 15-17 (Ruth’s pledge of her life)
Where you go, I will go; your people shall be my people, and your God my God.
• Matthew 28: 16-20 (the commissioning of the disciples)
Go therefore and make disciples of all nations. And remember, I am with you always,
• to the end of the age.
• 1 Corinthians 12: 5-10 (a variety of gifts)
There are a variety of gifts but it is the same God who activates all of them in everyone.
“I’m afraid of public speaking”:
• Exodus 4:10-17 (the call of Moses)
O my Lord, I have never been eloquent. And the LORD said to Moses:
“I will be with your mouth and teach you what you are to speak.”
• Jer 1:4-10 (the call of Jeremiah)
Jeremiah said: “I do not know how to speak.” Then the Lord touched his mouth and said:
“Now I have put my words in your mouth.”
(based on: http://www.archgh.org/VocationOffice/scripture.htm)